Dental Crowns or Caps – Ending Tooth Problems and Improving Smiles
Dental crowns are restorative caps that fit over the visible portion of a tooth to protect it from damage and restore its function. A dental crown can correct common cosmetic problems like misshapen and discolored teeth. Crowns can also help support a dental bridge, protect teeth after root canal procedures, restore fractured teeth or provide stability for teeth with large cavities that don’t have the structural stability to support a large filling. Types of dental crowns include ceramic, gold, metal alloys, composite resin, and stainless steel. Here are five of the most commonly asked questions about dental crowns.
1. How Will My Dentist Prepare My Tooth for a Crown? Your dentist in Clearwater will reduce the size of your tooth to accommodate the crown, and take impressions of your teeth and gums to send to the lab so they can customize a permanent crown. You will probably wear a temporary crown while your permanent one is being made.
2. How Are Dental Crowns Different from Veneers? Crowns cover more of your tooth than a veneer, and they require more modification of the tooth surface. They are typically applied to teeth with significant damage or weakened structure. Veneers are customarily used for cosmetic restoration only.
3. Will My New Crown Look Natural? Most non-metal crowns are crafted to mimic the appearance of your natural tooth. They are customized to match the normal size, shape and exact color.
4. How Should I Take Care of My Dental Crown? Practice excellent oral hygiene— brush twice daily, and use dental floss or interdental cleaners. See your dentist in Clearwater regularly, manage a tooth-grinding habit, and avoid chewing hard foods or ice.
5. How Long Will My Crown Last? Crowns are generally expected to last five to eight years, but with proper care, most dental crowns last 10 years or longer.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Clearwater, call Advanced Dental Care of Clearwater today at (727) 286-3945 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Clearwater. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Clearwater, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Clearwater.